Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Summer Movie Short List

I realized that since it's already May and the Summer Movie season officially starts this Friday with Iron Man 2, I should make my list of movies to see this summer. It's a very short list. The reason for my list being so short has already been covered in Lani's Remakes, Reboots, and Retreads entry, not to mention sequels. Since the movies that interest me this summer are so few I thought I would give my thoughts on the ones I'll be seeing.

First up, Iron Man 2. I enjoyed the first installment a lot more than I thought I would. I liked the feel and the tone of Iron Man. It was set it in real world, taken seriously, but stayed out of the "dark" territory that the Batman franchise has embraced. I'd like to see what the sequel does.

Get Him to the Greek: Forgetting Sarah Marshall was one of my favorite movies of 2008 and Russell Brand as Aldous Snow stole many scenes and had some of the funniest moments of the movie. The trailer for this not-really-a-sequel looks like it could all go terribly wrong. Still I'm fan of movies where a responsible guy in a suit has to look after a wacky guy and I'll admit I'd like to see more of Russell Brand as Aldous Snow, so I'll see this one too.

The A-Team: Starring Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, and Not Mr. T. I think this movie of a TV series sounds ridiculous (I mean it's a movie of a The A-Team, one of the TV shows you'd watch when you had to stay home sick from school), but the trailer makes it look more than decent. And, just maybe, I really would like to see how a big budget movie version of The A-Team will hold up on a big screen.

Toy Story 3: I was 10 when I saw Toy Story, the premise is interesting (the toys are donated to a day care), and Pixar has yet to make a bad movie so I will watch Toy Story 3. This is one movie this summer I can't wait to see and I will not see this movie in 3-D because a good movie doesn't need 3-D to be good.

Knight and Day: Not to be confused with Killers, which is like Mr. and Mrs. Smith mixed with Suspicion, except the the husband is trying to kill other people. I may change my mind on this one, but the trailer showed me an entertaining, funny, action-packed movie and that's what you expect from a summer movie.

Inception: This and Toy Story 3, are the movies I'm dying to see this summer. I'm still not sure if I understand what this movie is about, but that actually feels great. I'm so tired of movies that are sequels, remakes, rehashes of plots that have been used a hundred times before that I'm delighted by something that seems so unique it confuses me. You can watch the trailer here. Even better, it's by director Christopher Nolan whose films I've enjoyed very much.

Get Low: It's a little movie for the summer season, but if you look between the blockbusters you can find really good movies. I heard about this movie because, like many, I'm a big Bill Murray fan, but the star is Robert Duvall, who plays a 1930's hermit that decides to have his funeral before he dies and invites everyone, even though he doesn't know them. The trailer shows some offbeat charm and with luck it'll live up to its trailer and be a nice respite from all the action-packed blockbusters.

The Expendables: Just look at the cast list; I shouldn't have to say anything more, but here's the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment