Monday, April 26, 2010

On other websites: So Bad It's Good Edition

Battlefield Earth, a film Roger Ebert deemed "not merely bad, [but] unpleasant in a hostile way," recently won the Razzie award for Worst Movie of the Decade. On last week's episode of The Business (from Santa Monica NPR station KCRW), host Kim Masters interviewed the two screenwriters who were credited on that film, J.D. Shapiro and Corey Mandell, to find out what went wrong. I'll just say it involves a steam room and Smokey Robinson...

On perennial favorite Slate, Jonah Weiner examines some more of the worst films ever made, albeit those produced on a considerably smaller budget than Battlefield Earth, and tries to pinpoint what makes a horrible film great. For me it's usually the sound of Crow and Tom Servo riffing, but to each her own.

And in the so-bad-I'm-crying-at-the-state-of-cinema category, the A.V. Club has reported on several upcoming remakes, prequels, and board game adaptations. I've made my views on such matters known, so I hardly need to say that these movies sound absolutely horrid, and not in a good way.

So as not to end on a sour note, here's my favorite scene from notorious film fiasco The Room. "Keep the change hi doggie you're my favorite customer," also known as the flower shop scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment